Monday, April 16, 2018

The Comparison Game

Games are fun. I've played games all my life. Some of them I've been good at and some...well you can imagine. I've played different kinds of games at different stages in my life. Some games that were fun to me when I was a kid are not fun anymore, and the opposite is also true, some games that were not fun to me as a kid are now very enjoyable. Some games are fun because there is no real pressure to win, the fun is just playing the game with people who also want to play. Competing and winning are also fun, and sometimes you play those games for the intense competition. When it comes to those games, Winning is fun, and second place is really just first loser.

There is one game that we all have a tendency to play in life from childhood through adulthood, we never seem to win, and it's not really a fun game to play at all. Yet we play it on a daily basis. The "comparison game" is a killer. Very rarely is it beneficial and encouraging to play this game. It is harmful, and yet we are masters at it. We compare ourselves, our lives, our possessions, our station in life, and so many other things with those types of things in other people's lives, and we walk away feeling cheated and short-changed because we don't have, don't get, can't go like those people whom we are comparing ourselves with. It's the dumbest game I've ever played. I struggle on a daily basis to quit playing, and the struggle is real!

The one great miss in life when you play the comparison game is gratitude. If you are playing the comparison game you aren't grateful and you aren't thankful. Both of those things are so beautiful on people. We love being around people who are grateful and who are thankful. Let's be those people. Live your life with an attitude of gratitude.

If you woke up tomorrow with only those things in your life that you were thankful for today, what would you have tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment