Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Get vs Give

Get or give, the struggle is real. You and I, we are bombarded daily by every means possible that the key to our happiness is by getting. Now what appeals to me to get may be different than what appeals to you to get, but the reality is that world is yelling loud and clear, "The more stuff you have the happier you will be." I would even admit that I've tried it. I bet you might just admit that you've tried the whole getting thing too. Question, "did it work?"

For me the answer is "No, It didn't work at all." As a matter of fact, it created a monster in my mind and heart that began craving "getting." I have hurt others, even people I love deeply, trying to get what I want. I don't like it when I see it me. It is painful, and it is costly.

Today I witnessed the opposite of getting, giving. Today is the halfway point of spring break in these parts, and I just left a small struggling church not far from here where two youth groups from two churches have been giving of their time and talents to help this little church get ready for its homecoming. They spruced up the church yard, mulched the flower beds. They have cleaned and painted. It has been amazing to watch. They aren't getting paid, and they are having a great time doing it. I'm very proud of them and their leaders.

So I saw with my own eyes that giving is better than getting. Now getting doesn't have to be bad, dangerous, or harmful. It's all in the heart. But giving, I have found, is always better than getting. The reason this is true is because the Bible says it is. From the very heart and mouth of God the Son, "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many."

Give it a try. It just might change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment