Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Leader is Dead

I try to read a portion of the Bible every day. I have done this most days since the fall of 1999. It has become a great spiritual discipline in my life. I am also training myself to journal. I haven't gotten to the everyday normal part of my routine, but it's becoming more common than not. It's amazing what flows through that pen from time to time. Today I was reading in the Book of Deuteronomy. It's in the Old Testament, and it's the fifth book in the OT. Moses wrote this book along with the four books that precede it. I read chapters 31-32 today. In these chapters Moses has finished reminding the Israelites of all that God has done for them. He has seen them through many trials and difficulties. God has protected them. God has fed them. God has sustained them. God has given them water to drink when there was no water to found. It's been an amazing ride. But sadly, it's time for Moses to die. He is 120 years old at this time, and it seems like he is still vigorous and strong. Nothing about him would lead anyone to believe that it is his time to go, and yet God says it is. Moses had messed up. He got angry and he disobeyed the instruction of the Lord, haven't we all done that, but his failure to obey was such a great offense to the Lord that God told him He would not allow him to enter the Promised Land.

God takes Moses up on mountain to show him all the land that the Israelites would take possession of. God passes the mantle of leadership to Joshua who will lead the people to victory in the Promised Land, and then Moses drops dead. The leader is dead. The one who, in human terms, led them out of slavery in Egypt is dead. The one who stood in the presence of the Lord is dead. The one whom they had depended on for 40 years is dead. He is gone. God buried him in a place that no one knows. God didn't even leave a marker. But understand, the next step was not back for God's people it was forward. God wasn't about to give them another reason to hesitate. They must trust Him. They must obey Him. They must follow Him.

Joshua, it's your turn. Step up to plate. Take a great big swing. "Don't be afraid. Be strong and courageous. I am with you." I love the fact that God never asked Joshua to be Moses. God never asked Joshua to be like Moses. God wanted Joshua to be Joshua. God wanted him to be just like He created him to be. That is refreshing to my heart and soul. God doesn't want me to be someone else. He wants me to be me, but me completely surrendered to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment