Saturday, March 24, 2018

Broken but Unbroken

I am reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. It is the biography of Louis Zamperini. I've seen the movie, and it was very powerful. Now I'm reading the book. There is actually another movie that is coming out soon that will tell the rest of Zamperini's story. He became a Christ follower during the Billy Graham Los Angeles crusade in the 1950's.

The truth about Zamperini is that he was a broken man. He was flawed in many ways. He had numerous struggles. His story is common in that we are all flawed, broken, and desperate. I know that is an adequate description of my life. And yet, even in his brokenness, he refused to be broken. He suffered greatly, but wouldn't allow his suffering to brake him. He refused to surrender even when he was in captivity. He fought the good fight as a POW. He was a true American hero, but what made him famous was his refusal to break. Even in his weakest moments, he somehow found the strength to take another breath, another step, he chose to live another day.

I want to encourage you in this also. You and I, we are broken people, but we don't have to brake. We can keep moving forward. We can, if we choose, make it through the darkness of our situations. We can refuse to surrender. I don't know what you are facing, and I won't share what I'm facing. What we are facing is secondary. The struggle to fight and succeed is more important. But where will we find the strength to persevere?

I will find my hope, my help, my comfort, and my strength in King Jesus. He is my source. He has always been faithful. He has never let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment