Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My CrossFit Journey (so far)

There have been times throughout my life I have worked out in one way or another. I would go for a while and then something would happen and I would stop. I would make progress and then get worse than I was in the first place. At one point several years ago my blood pressure was very high (160/100) and my other numbers were off the chart, literally. So I had to get on different medication to help. I have been on the medecine for over three years. I've lost and gained weight over this time and previously. And this is where CrossFit comes in. My wife, Melissa, started doing CrossFit about a year ago. She tried to get me to go and try it the whole time, and I finally gave in at the end of September. It took me two weeks to complete the four foundational classes, so the second Tuesday in October, 2013 was my first full class.

When I began I had to do push-ups from my knees, I had to use bands to help with pull-ups and chin-ups, I couldn't run more than 200 meters without having to walk. To say the least, I was in horrible shape. At this time, I also took the last of my prescriptions and couldn't get a refill until I went back to the doctor, so I decided to do without. Fast forward to Friday. I went to the doctor for a check up. My blood pressure, without meds for 3 months was 122/80. I haven't received the results of the blood work, but I bet it's much better. That's some pretty good progress if you ask me. But let me share some more results from CrossFit: I was able to do 25 (5x5) handstand push-ups last week, I did 25 unassisted pull-ups and chin-ups, 325 LB 3rep max dead lift (345 LBS once), 24" box jumps 9x5, and I am running any WOD distance without stopping. Oh and I'm down from 36 to 34 inch pants!!!

The only thing that will keep CrossFit from working for you is if you don't do it. Thank you Melissa for continuing to push me to be better. One of these days I may even beat you in a WOD. If you live in Stanly County come join me at CrossFit Delphi in Albemarle, if not, check it out at a CrossFit box near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment