Thursday, June 19, 2014

Summer Time Means VBS

Some of my fondest memories are around Summer time. My family has done some really fun things during our summers together growing up. One of my favorite places to go growing up in Florida was a place called Strickland's Landing. It was on Kingsley Lake just outside of Green Cove Springs. They had slides, diving boards, 3 diving towers, and other crazy things to do. I can't tell you just how many hours and days we spent there, but those are precious memories I will carry with me forever. We would camp there for our family vacation from time to time, but it was close enough that we would go for the day a lot. I loved that place, and wish it was still open because I would love for my family to experience it the way I did growing up.

But growing up in a pastor's home means that many of my memories have the church and church activities, one of which was vacation bible school. VBS was always a favorite time in my life as a child. It gave me something to do after the excitement of being out of school had worn off. It also gave me an extra opportunity to be with my friends and to meet new friends to. It was a time of kids hearing and receiving Jesus as Savior. VBS was a wonderful time of ministry and outreach.

The good news is that those are not just days gone by, but are days of the present and future. VBS is still the greatest week of ministry, statistically, in the life of the churches of the Southern Baptist Convention. More people are saved and baptized as a result of VBS than any other things we as Southern Baptists do. So it is with great joy that I look forward to June 23-27 at Highland Baptist Church in New London, NC. We will be hosting VBS for the kids of New London and Stanly county. We can accommodate bed babies through 12th grade. Let's make some memories. Let's reach out to our neighbors and community. Let's boldly proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, and serve the Lord with joy while serving the kids of our church, neighborhood, and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment